25 November 2008

Getting or Giving?

Thanksgiving isn't even here yet and I am already being pestered for my Christmas list. Wow.
Don't get me wrong, I love that my friends and family want to get me something nice for Christmas, it means a lot to me. But there's not really anything I want! That's the problem. I mean, sure, it'd be nice to have some things, but I can live without them at the same time. Really, I'd be perfectly content just being able to be with my whole family, extended and immediate, over the holidays.
My point in saying all this is, haven't we gotten a little too focused on the getting side of things (Don't deny it... Everyone loves presents! :D ) to fully enjoy the giving part? I feel like the giving is really the best part of Christmas.
There are some really amazing ways to get involved with giving this season. One of my favorite organizations is called Operation Christmas Child, where you fill up a shoebox with little toys and things for kids that probably wouldn't get a Christmas gift otherwise, and send it to one of their drop-off locations, where they process the box and ship it to a child.
And there are tons of other organizations like this, just get on google and I'm sure you'll find some. Most are inexpensive and easy to participate in as well.
No excuses, people! Money may be tight, but you can find a way. You can live without that huge Christmas wreath (complete with plastic velevet-covered birds), or that giant plastic frosty you've had your eye on. (Ahh yes, your secret is out... I know you want that Frosty, no matter how tacky he is!!)

No comments: